The Fair Trade Authority Curaçao’s bureau currently comprises seven employees and a director. The employees are five specialist investigators (lawyers and economists), a business operations manager and a management assistant. The duties of the bureau’s investigators include:
- assessing applications for exemption from the prohibition on cartels;
- checking concentration notifications;
- investigating possible infringements of the National Ordinance on Competition;
- providing information about new competition rules to stakeholders; and
- preparing decisions of the board of the FTAC.
Mr Stefan Tuinenga is acting director of the FTAC bureau. Mr. Tuinenga is an experienced competition lawyer and worked for 8 years as an attorney for a renowned law firm in Amsterdam. He already worked at FTAC as general counsel and deputy director.
Click here for the FTAC Mandate (in Dutch) in which the responsibilities and powers of the bureau’s staff have been laid down in detail.